|Your Tacoma Public Library Card gives you borrowing privileges at the Main Library and all neighborhood libraries throughout Tacoma, & provides remote access to the Library's online databases and resources. |
Open the door to a world of information and enjoyment. Check out a couple of novels and audio books, some picture books for children, some classical, jazz, pop or even holiday CDs and the latest movies on DVD.
With your Tacoma Public Library card you can check out books that will help you plant your garden or plan your dinner, rebuild your car or repair your leaky faucet, apply for college or prepare for your job search. Your library card gives you 24/7/365 access to a dazzling array of information accessible from your home computer - including full-text articles from hundreds of magazines, newspapers and journals; business resources; homework assistance; unique local history resources and lots more at www.tacomapubliclibrary.org.
You can get your Library card at any Tacoma Public Library location and, in most instances, check out library materials immediately.
Tacoma Public Library Cards are available free to:
- All persons residing within the city limits of Tacoma.
- Persons showing evidence of paying property taxes to the City of Tacoma. A current Property Tax Statement from the City of Tacoma is required.
- Businesses with an Annual Business License from the City of Tacoma.
- Business and Occupation Tax License for the current year from the City of Tacoma is required to apply for or renew this card.
- Patrons who do not qualify for a free card, but are full-time employees or students of Tacoma School District #10. Enrollment / employment will be verified with the school district.
- Employees of the City of Tacoma (excluding the employees of the Tacoma / Pierce County Health Department and the Metropolitan Parks District of Tacoma). Current Advice of Deposit required.
- Most (but not all) King County Library System cardholders (call Telephone Reference at (253) 292-2001 for details).
- All Pierce County residents in qualified areas are eligible for a free card as per our Reciprocal Agreement with the Pierce County Library System.
- Persons living in a temporary residence or transitional housing (for example: military personnel, persons residing in a mission or in rehabilitation). This card is active for three months only. The card must be mailed to the cardholder to verify the address. This card has a loan limit of three items at a time.
Tacoma Public Library Cards are available for a fee to:
- Persons not qualified for a free card must pay a non-resident fee that represents the per-capita expenditure of the City of Tacoma for library services to city residents. This fee is adjusted annually. Please ask at the circulation desk for current information, or call Telephone Reference at (253) 292-2001.
Some municipalities adjacent to Tacoma rebate all or part of the cost of a Tacoma Public Library card to their residents. Please check with your local municipal office to see if they participate in this program.
Tacoma Public Library cards for children:
Children under the age of 14 must have either a parent or legal guardian sign for the child's card. The parent or legal guardian must present their current photo identification (see below).
Persons ages 14 - 17 that have current acceptable photo identification (see below) may obtain a Tacoma Public Library card without a co-signer. A parent or legal guardian must still sign to allow Media Privileges for the cardholder.
Before a Tacoma Public Library card can be issued to anyone, acceptable current photo identification with birth date and proof of residency must be provided.
The following types of identification are acceptable:
- A current state, international or foreign driver's license with photograph
- Current State Identification Card from the Department of Licensing
- State Learner's Permit issued by Department of Licensing
- Passport (USA or foreign)
- Passport Card (U.S)
- U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service Identification Card
- U.S Military identification
- Mexican Consular Identification Card (Matricula Consular)
Materials that verify current local residency:
- Current acceptable photo identification (see above)
- Pre-printed personal checks from applicant's bank
- A utility bill (paper or electronic form) from the current month in the patron's name
Persons who have acceptable personal photo identification, but who are unable to provide verification of current residency, may have the library card mailed to them to verify residency. However, no library materials can be checked out until the Tacoma Public Library card is received.
If you have questions regarding obtaining a Tacoma Public Library card, please call Telephone Reference at (253) 292-2001.
Last Updated 17.01.2012